Homage to the Blessed One, the Worthy One, the Highest Self Enlightened One!
Thuparamaya dagoba in Anuradhapura. Click on the image to download a larger version.
Thuparamaya is a dagoba in Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka. It is a Buddhist sacred place of veneration.
Mahinda Thera, an envoy sent by King Ashoka himself introduced Theravada Buddhism and also chetiya worship to Sri Lanka.
At his request King Devanampiyatissa built Thuparamaya in which was enshrined the collarbone of the Buddha. It is
considered to be the first dagaba built in Sri Lanka following the introduction of Buddhism. This is considered the
earliest monument, the construction of which was chronicled Sri Lanka. The name Thuparamaya comes from “stupa” and
“aramaya” which is a residential complex for monks.
Thuparamaya dagoba has been built in the shape of a heap of paddy. This dagoba was destroyed from time to time. During
the reign of King Agbo II it was completely destroyed and the King restored it. What is seen presently is the construction
of the dagoba, done in 1862 AD. As of today, after several renovations, in the course of the centuries, the monument has
a diameter of 59 ft (18 m), at the base. The dome is 11 feet 4 inches (3.45 m) in height from the ground, 164.5 ft (50.1 m)
The compound is paved with granite and there are 2 rows of stone pillars round the dagaba. During the early
period vatadage was built round the dagoba.
May all be happy and well!